The county seat of Doddridge County is West Union, although originally it was called Lewisport. When it was officially incorporated in 1850 it became West Union. The city is the trade center for a region in western West Virginia, and is closely allied to the production of oil, gas, and glass. The county is located on the Allegheny Plateau and contains farmland for fruit, livestock, corn, and potatoes. Natural gas, oil wells, coal, and timber are also a part of the economy.
Doddridge County was formed in 1845. This north centrally located county was named in honor of Philip Doddridge, a distinguished statesman of West Virginia, who spent a good deal of his career in Brooke County. J.H. Diss Debar, who designed the Great Seal of West Virginia lived here. He also designed the state's coat of arms. Doddridge County contains some 322 square miles of West Virginia territory.
Doddridge County Commission
108 Court Street Suite #1
West Union WV. 26456
For more information on the county commission or other county agencies go to: http://www.doddridgecountywv.com/